Ebooks can take a variety of forms, and each form can be distributed in particular ways.
Distribution mechanisms can include:
- PDF and Epub ebook distribution through major aggregators (like Ingram Digital and Overdrive) to large and small ebook retailers around the world;
- Ebook distribution to mobile phones, especially the iPhone;
- Free or paid ebook downloads from your own website;
- Distribution on free and paid web services like Scribd, Issuu, Exact Editions, Wattpad, BookGluttonand Smashwords;
- Mobipocket ebooks distributed through Mobipocket;
- Distribution on the Amazon Kindle, Amazon’s popular ebook device (currently US-only);
- HTML/web: book content repurposed as content for a website-version of a book, or added to your existing website;
- and many others.
Publishers must carefully choose the methods that suit them best, from small, free services to large-scale commercial solutions. (EBW can help with that on a consulting basis.)